Welcome! We're happy to see you've made it to this page!
This article will help you get started using Textfree! One of the first questions you might be asking is "Is it really free?"
The answer is YES! Textfree is completely free for our users. Send and receive free texts and calls to all your contacts! Minutes are required for outbound calls to non-Textfree users, but guess what? You can earn minutes for free, too!
Click on any of the points below to help you get started:
- How to send your first message
- How to send a group message
- How to make your first phone call
- How to set up your voicemail
- How to earn or purchase more minutes
1. To send a message using the new Textfree Ultra, tap on the new message icon in the upper right corner of your inbox
2. Your new message screen will have a search bar along the top where you can begin typing the name or number of your contact(s)
(You also have the ability to send group messages - click here to see how!)
3. Now, just type your message in the text box, then tap the send button
Sending a picture message works just like sending a regular text message with Textfree!
Need help with notifications? Click here to see how to enable notifications for Pinger
With the latest and greatest version of Textfree, you can now send group messages! Here's how:
1. From your inbox, tap on the new message icon to start your group
2. Scroll to choose a contact, OR begin typing their name into the search bar. Tap on their names to add each member to the group.
Please note: There is a max of 10 recipients per group message.
3. After you've been chatting with your group, you'll see all messages from each member in the conversation like the below image
After sending your group message, tap on "i" in the upper right corner to view/edit group details
Now you can choose to:
1. Edit or add a photo to the group
2. Change the group name
3. Add more people
4. Leave the group
There are a couple ways to place a call
*Make sure you've allowed the app access to your contacts in order for your device's address book to populate!
When the call is connecting, make sure you have a consistent 'HD' or 'excellent' quality signal for best results - this will show in the upper right corner during the call
Placing a call from a conversation
1. Tap the conversation in your inbox
Placing a call from within a conversation
2. Once in the conversation view, tap on the call button in the top right corner
Placing a call from your contact list
1. To place a call through your contact list, tap the phone icon at the top of your inbox
Placing a call from the dial pad
1. To place a call from your dial pad, tap the phone icon at the top of your inbox
2. Enter the phone number you'd like to place a call to then tap the green call button!
Running low on minutes? Tap on your current minute balance shown in the bottom left to earn or purchase more minutes!
To setup your own, customized voicemail greeting, follow these easy steps:
1. To record a custom voicemail, access the app Settings by tapping on the Settings button on the top left-hand side of your screen
2. Tap "Manage voicemail greeting" to choose the default or custom voicemail setting
3. Choose "custom", then tap "record" to begin recording your 30 second voicemail message
4. You'll see the time counting down as you're recording your message. When finished recording, tap STOP
5. When finished, just tap Save in the upper right!
You can play or change your custom greeting at any time!
Adding more minutes to your account is easy! Keep in mind that you can earn free minutes rather than purchase them for calling!
*Remember, minutes are only required for outbound calls to your friends who aren't using Textfree or Pinger. All incoming calls, and calls between you and another Textfree user are free!
1. From your inbox, tap the dial pad icon along the top toolbar.
2. From the dial pad, tap on the box which shows your current minute balance
3. You can choose to watch videos for free minutes, complete partner offers for free minutes, or you can purchase minutes.
1. watch video to earn minutes: watch a short promotional video to earn 2 calling minutes
2. more ways to earn minutes: complete offers from our partner, Tapjoy's offer wall
3. buy minutes: purchase minutes from your app store
Not seeing the minutes you earned or purchased?
Whoops! Sorry about that. Click here for instructions on what do to.
Receiving Picture Messages
Your pictures can be received directly to your Textfree assigned phone number! No more email@example.com (applies to most carriers - Verizon, Sprint, AT&T for example) see this article for more info!
If you're in Canada: at this time, picture messages cannot be received from contacts whose carrier is Rogers Communications
If you re in the US: at this time, picture messages cannot be received from contacts whose carrier is T-Mobile
Trouble sending pictures? or not receiving the pictures your friends are sending you? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org with your:
- Phone number
- Exact date and time the message was sent
- Your contact's phone number
Hope this helps to get you started with Textfree! For any and all other questions, contact our Support team at email@example.com :)